Do not disturb the water... Lord of the Rings Watcher Variant

So recently my wife is with child! Hoorah and... oh... for the gaming budget. I have set my sights to getting the most out of my Creality Ender 3 3D printer. We are mid battle companies campaign at the club and I wanted to add a spicy scenario involving the companies, Gandalf, a lake and something that lurks beneath... Yes the watcher in the water. It's a nice mini from Games Workshop but I just don't have the cash to bust on a single use mini at the moment so I set about finding an alternative. This excellent Kraken exists on thingiverse so I scaled it down to the right base size and got it printed.

3D printed watcher in the water variant for lord of the rings strategy battle game

Some cork and sand later I had a working base for the model as shown below. I got him painted up in under an hour (really wanted this done quick) by keeping multiple brushes at hand and just going crazy with the colours to blend as much as possible. Then some inks and washes helped to bring the model together.

building the watcher in the water with decorators caulk, cork and early 3D print from Creality Ender 3

Then I used some fantastic Greenstuffworld UV clear resin for water effect, added a little green ink and made a nice murky body of water this guy was crawling from. This stuff was dead simple to use and I recommend it for water effect work.

Painted watcher in the water from lord of the rings before water effect

Leave it in the sun to harden and the finished results are what you see below. I think all in all the model has cost me about £1.90 (excluding water effect) so give it a blast if you are a little strapped.

Watcher in the water in a pool of water

Slimey watcher in the water tentacles and conch-like shell

He will drag you to the deep! Legolas! Hit it again!

Craig McNicholas

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments :